The government of Cameroon plans the return of a new wave of more than 1,000 nationals still stranded abroad following the closure of borders due to the coronavirus pandemic.
“Preparations are underway for the repatriation of a third contingent of more than 1,000 Cameroonians who are being identified in different countries,” the Minister of External Relations (Minrex), Lejeune Mbella Mbella, said.
The State had previously financed the return of two waves of people. The first, composed of 795 Cameroonians, returned to Cameroon between March and April 2020. The second repatriation of 930 people took place between 9 and 12 May. A total of 1,725 people have been repatriated to date.
This operation, instructed by the Head of State, concerns only “compatriots residing in Cameroon, but who were in a temporary residence, at the end of their stay or in transit abroad on the date of the closure of the borders of our country,” Minrex said.
Like the passengers of the previous contingents, the next arrivals will be taken care of as soon as they return to Cameroon, per the sanitary protocol and the containment in force. All passengers will be subjected to a rapid screening test for coronavirus. Those who test positive will immediately be taken care of in specialized centers. Those whose test results are negative can return home but will remain under observation for 15 days.
As of May 28, 2020, Cameroon officially recorded 5,356 confirmed positive cases of coronavirus, including 3,326 recovered persons and 177 deaths.